Saturday, November 1, 2008

Some Participant Bios

There are 11 women from the ELCA who will be participating in the 2-week seminar in South Africa, and here are some of their mini-bios to introduce everyone further!




Hi, my Name is Angela. I am a final year seminary student at Lutheran School of Theology. Right now, I'm doing my internship at Grace Lutheran Church in my hometown of Omaha, NE. I am looking forward to our trip together.






Hello all! I'm Vanessa and I live in North Chicago, IL. In September I began serving as the Youth Leader for a church in Northfield, IL (also north 'burbs), working with high school and middle school youth! Prior to this position, I worked with the ELCA Young Adults in Global Mission (YAGM) program that sends young adults out to serve as missionaries for 1 year in several different countries around the world, and before that I served in the YAGM program and as a GM Volunteer doing youth and schools work in England from 2004-2006. I'm very excited about this seminar opportunity in South Africa!




Greetings! I’m Karris from Waterloo, Iowa. I’m married to Josh and am the mother of a preschooler --- Zoey, 4. I work at Wartburg College in Waverly, Iowa (a college of the ELCA) as assistant director of communication and marketing. I’m really looking forward to this trip! http://www.karrisgolden.com/






My name is Kimberly. I work in Human Resources with Northwestern Medical Faculty Foundation. A little less than a year ago, I worked in administration with Global Mission, International Personnel. I just recently was apart of the Women of the ELCA's Triennial Gathering, in Utah. I'm married to Nate and mother to 3. It is blessing to be apart of this amazing life change experience!






Hi, I am Christy from Prescott, WI about 20 minutes from the Twin Cities. I am currently serving at Joy Lutheran in Prescott where I spend a lot of time with kids and teens as the director of education and youth ministries. I am married to my great husband Jason, and we have Joona our exchange student from Finalnd who keeps us busy. We have 2 dogs and 1 cat. I enjoy being outside and playing ice hockey. I am blessed to be a part of this group!






(Mara) I live in Chicago and work in development for Lutheran Social Services of Illinois. I have lived here in Chicago for 2.5 years and love it! Prior to that I was in Nebraska - Omaha and Lincoln - (shout out to Angela, in Omaha - I worked with the ELCA campus ministry across Nebraska and actually worked with Grace on occasion, probably before you were there). I grew up in Montana and would call that my home. My family is still there and I try to visit often. I can't wait to go on this trip. What an experience we are going to have together!






Hello, I am Molly. I am an associate pastor at King of Glory Lutheran Church in Billings, MT. We have over 800 particpants and are a very young congregation. We have many young families-lots of little kids running around. We are currently engaged in an appeal process to expand our facilities. I do all the regular stuff that pastors do and I have started a chapter of MOPS, mothers of pre-schoolers. I graduated from Luther Seminary in St. Paul, MN in 2005. My husband, Allen and I, have been married almost 9 years (Dec. 29). We like to hike, backpack, and run together. I spend a lot of my spare time reading. We have a cat, Jewel.I have been wanting to travel to Africa for many years, now. I am particularly pleased that our emphasis will be on issues facing young women today and that we will have the opportunity to travel with young women from Africa. How unique!



My name is Becky and I'm currently a student at the Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago working on a Master's degree and also at the University of Chicago working on a social work masters. My plan is to be consecrated as a diaconal minister. I worked at the ELCA Churchwide Office for 3 years after graduating college (at the University of Minnesota!). At Churchwide I was the Intern for Lutheran Student Movement USA and thenI worked for Ecumenical & Inter-Religious Relations. I can't wait for the trip!





Hello! I'm Odalis, and I'm from Willmar, MN. I have 2 kids and I'm originally from Panama. I just got married 7 months ago to a wonderful man named Oscar. I'm excited to go to South Africa; an opportunity to learn new things and have an adventure!










(More to come!)

No comments: